Narratives in production
Unit 2 – Area of study 2
In this area of study we focus on learning the following dot points:
• Use of media production process in the construction of narratives.
• Development of skills in the use of media technologies.
• Specific audiences and constraints of contexts in the creation and production of media products.
• Ethical, legal and community constraints in the production and distribution of media products.
• Roles and responsibilities within the media production process.
By the end of this area of study you should be able to Design, Produce, Apply and Develop these dot points.
From the study design
Narratives are created through a production process that involves the conceptualisation and development of ideas,
pre-production, production, post-production and distribution. The production and distribution of narratives involves
skilled use of media technologies, often in collaboration with others, where each individual undertakes specific
roles and responsibilities required at each stage of the production. While the production of narratives is a creative
process, they are produced for specific audiences and are constrained by the contexts in which they are produced,
distributed, consumed and read. Students apply their theoretical learning to create and construct narratives in the
form of media exercises that demonstrate one or more concepts covered in Area of Study 1.
• media production processes and their relationship to specific media forms
• construction of narratives using the media production process
• the roles and responsibilities required in different stages of the media production process
• technical skills used in the operation of media technologies
• ethical, legal and community constraints in the production and distribution of media products
• media language appropriate to the design, production and evaluation of media products.
• design and produce narratives using the stages of the media production process
• undertake roles and responsibilities within the media production process
• apply technical skills in the operation of media technologies
• develop and produce narratives within ethical, legal and community constraints
• use media language appropriate to the design, construction, production and evaluation of media productions.